Saturday 19 May 2012

Carbonised

 Following on from my last post, here's the first of my carbon and charcoal experiments.
 

I've worked with both kinds of pencil before but never as two distinct elements in the same image - which is why I started with the small version :)


I used carbon pencil for the cat in the foreground to give me a soft black and the fuzzy edges. One of the things I liked about the photograph I was working from was the fact it was the crows in the background that were in sharp focus.



I used sharp charcoal for the wonderfully distinctive crows so that even on such a tiny scale- the whole thing is only 3 x 4 inches- I could get a really crisp outline and feather texture. This one is already on sale here -next up, I'm trying a larger version using the same materials. Will keep you posted ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment